Saturday 2 December 2017

Critical Reflection

My expectation of the Effective Communication module set at the start of the term was to learn more about communicating correctly, clearly, concisely and coherently. A specific area that I wanted to improve is my writing skill, in particular, the ability to organise my thoughts faster and convey my messages precisely and concisely.

I have learnt the "how to" aspects of communication from the module, such as the conventions for citing sources and strategies for paraphrasing texts correctly.  The lesson on summarising strategies has provided me with a framework to organise my thoughts faster. The class activities and assignments have started me on my journey of writing and speaking effectively. What I have to do to continue this journey, with the module coming to an end, is to continue to apply and practise what I have learnt in my writing or speaking assignments of other modules.

One area that I need to pay more attention is the verb tense. It has been a recurring issue pointed out in my other written assignments besides the project report. I am considering options to improve this weakness. They include taking up an English course with specific focus on verb tense, tapping the expertise of the Centre for Communication Skills through the Communication Helpdesk, and practising more and regularly.

The past 13 weeks have been a very rewarding learning experience. The module has helped to lay my foundation and started my journey on writing and speaking effectively, which is an invaluable competency in our globalised world.

Commented on:
Chen Zhou Zhi's blog
Jerome Tay's blog

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jasson,

    Glad that you have takeaway so much from this module. The past 13 weeks were indeed very rewarding and open our eyes to the world of communication. But i hope our learning does not stop here and should always seek to learn. Then will we be able to present our best self in front of others.

    Cheers,

    Zhouzhi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent focus in this reflection! I'm happy to see that you are already 'taking the bull by the horns' in terms of improving your grammatical usage.

    Thank you for all your effort this term, Jasson. Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete