Friday 1 December 2017

Analytical Reflection

I presented on the proposed "Bus Buddy" mobile application for my team's project "Enhancement of Commuting Experience for the Visually Impaired". Three teams, namely A-Team, Claustrophobic and Eldervists, gave their views on my presentation.

The teams complimented my presentation. A-Team commented that the concept was explained clearly while Claustrophobic liked the good content control and flow, especially the use of flow chart to explain the user-"Bus Buddy" interaction process.

The teams also identified my areas for improvement. My tone and choice of words are the two areas identified.

Claustrophobic commented that "my speaking speed was good but requires more volume and tone variation". I researched on how I can improve my speaking. Schwertly (2014) citing a psychological study, reports that varying one's voice is important to keep the listeners engaged. WikiHow (n.d.) stated that "emphasizing important words in a sentence with a higher pitch reassures listeners". For future presentations, I will identify the key words or phrases and emphasize them with a higher pitch. I will also need to practise more in order to improve on this weakness.

Eldervists correctly pointed out that I said 'cause', when it should have been 'because' during the question and answer segment. This problem arises from my habit of using the shortened form of the intended word, which others would still understand my message when communicating through platforms such as Whatsapp. I need to change this habit as it is affecting my oral presentation. I will refrain from using such shortened forms.

The peer review and analytical reflection have enabled me to learn more about my strengths and weaknesses in oral presentation. The insight has allowed me to find ways to better prepare for the delivery of more engaging and professional presentations.

References

Schwertly, S. (2014, July 9). Your guide to developing a stronger speaking voice. Ethos 3. Retrieved from https://www.ethos3.com/2014/07/your-guide-to-developing-a-stronger-speaking-voice/

wikiHow. (n.d.). How to develop a friendly tone of voice. wikiHow. Retrieved from https://www.wikihow.com/Develop-a-Friendly-Tone-of-Voice

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the clear focus and tight organization of this post. It's also impressive that you did some research and found sites that discuss ways to ameliorate those aspects of the presentation you consider weak. I have no doubt that your next talk will be even stronger than the one in SIE2016. Great job with this reflection!

    ReplyDelete